BIRTH THROUGH EIGHT STRATEGY FOR TULSA(BEST)
REACH AND IMPACT: OVER THE COURSE OF TEN YEARS, BEST IS PROJECTED TO REACH 80% OF THE 40,000 CHILDREN LIVING IN POVERTY UNDER THE AGE OF NINE IN TULSA COUNTY ANNUALLY.
The strategy is deeply informed by what decades of brain science research tell us about the most effective way to combat poverty: Act early, when most brain development happens.
- A majority of programs and services will focus intensively on infants and toddlers. Adults will receive the tools and reinforcements they need to support early development.
- A wide range of evidence-informed supports will be available to families during the first eight years of a child’s life.
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT & PLANNING
During the initial planning phase of BEST, GKFF worked with a variety of community partners and service organizations. These efforts entailed:
- Hosting community input sessions, bringing together over ninety organizations to identify opportunities and potential solutions for breaking the cycle of intergenerational poverty
- Conducting a variety of focus groups with Tulsa parents and caregivers
- Collecting feedback and input on various components of the strategy
Community partners and families will continue to play a pivotal role in the implementation of the strategy.